Thursday, July 9, 2009

I remember when the power went off; it was a cue to fulfill my task.
Oh right, my task.
The encompassing darkness crushed my body like a bear-hug from a perverted uncle. Shuffling feet and muttering came from around me and finally a trembling voice called out reassurances.
I realized I was crouched on the ground so I stood up, bumping into a lamp. Useless lamp. Striking forward, clawed hands struck at my eyes. No, not there. Back to my task.
Moving like a shark in brine, I swept slowly, back and forth through the darkness. Using people's voices as radars, spots to avoid. My slow progress was worth the effort; the voices were now looking for me. I would succeed before they found me. Giant blood-sucking bugs dove for me as I reached the entrance. A last minute crouch saved my neck and I crawled the rest of the way to my prize. Wrapping my arms carefully around it I made my way back to the entry, now the exit. I made it. I could hear the voices again, wondering where I was. One of them seemed to know, but they were too late.
Suddenly the lights flickered and came on.
There I stood, in my chinos and argyle sweater, between the living room and the bedroom, teddy bear clutched to my heart. I faced our entire regime of dinner party guests. Wide eyes and stifled laughter faced me as well as a pitying and exasperated wife.
"As I was trying to explain, my husband is afraid of the dark." she huffed, shaking her head.

1 comment:

Jayna Moar said...

Love this!! Want more like it!